Subject: Re: DEC machines
From: "Richard L'Hommedieu" <[email-masked]>
To: The LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]>, The LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 18:28:54 -0400

At 10:22 AM 4/30/96 -0400, Marc Dole wrote:
>With all this talk about DEC Alpha's, and them being the fastest machines,
>well for the most part they are, make sure you see benchmarks on the System
>before you buy.
>
>A 266mhz Alpha could only be the speed of a Pentium 133.  Well hey thats me.
>I have a 21066, An older Alpha but still widely available, that runs 266mhz
>and it is +/- 1% as fast as my Pentium 133.  Yes I did by the Machine over 1
>year ago, and I have no complaints because it was one of the fastest at the
>time.  
>
>So when you see a great price on a Alpha that runs under 200mhz (even the
>21064 chips) remember the name doesn't mean speed, but if you research stand
>back and that that thing render.
>
>I am upgrading my machine to a 21064A 300mhz Nekotech Mach2.  This machine
>is not the fastest on the market, but the price is right and its twice the
>speed of a Pentium 133.
>
>Anybody want a 21066 Motherboard with 266mhz chip and 256k cache?
>
> Marc Dole (603) 659-7778   "3D - We don't need no stinkin' glasses"
>    Alpha Lightwave Animator / Dr. of the Speed Razor / Flyer Pilot
>                            http://www.bluefin.net/~madvideo
>
>
>--- From the LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]> --------
>--- This message posted by:  Marc Dole <[email-masked]>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--- For information, send e-mail to:  [email-masked] --------
>--- Message should include the phrase INFO LIGHTWAVE on a line by itself ---
>
>

For those of you who want to get benchmarks and other information that can
be helpfull in shopping for a DEC alpha check out my home page at
http://www.li.net/~rlhomme/limg.html

Rich

--- From the LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]> --------
--- This message posted by:  "Richard L'Hommedieu" <[email-masked]>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- For information, send e-mail to:  [email-masked] --------
--- Message should include the phrase INFO LIGHTWAVE on a line by itself ---